Nepal in a Glimpse

My 32 days in Nepal started with me landing at Kathmandu and running through the airport to find a bathroom. I hadn’t even tasted Nepali cuisine yet, but I was already suffering from a stomach ache and a bloated tummy. I had mentally prepared for this, but I never thought it would happen so quickly. Kathmandu is situated in a valley surrounded by the Himalayan mountains at an elevation of 1.400 meters, so I blamed the altitude.

The visa on arrival at the airport is easy to obtain. You just need to register your information on their website and have the confirmation email on your phone. The cost is USD 35 for 15 days, USD 50 for 30 days, or USD 125 for 90 days. You can pay directly at the airport in any currency or with a card (with an extra fee of USD 1). As you can guess, I paid for the 30-day visa but had to extend it by 2 days at the end of my trip. I thought it would be much cheaper, but the extension has a flat fee of USD 45 plus a USD 3 fee per day, so I ended up paying USD 101 for 32 days. It’s worth planning your days better to fit within the available options.


Streets in Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal


After bargaining with the taxi counter inside the airport, we decided to take our chances and hire a taxi from outside. Instead of paying the initial NPR 800, we ended up paying NPR 1.000. Up to a great start! To avoid this, we learned there are apps called Pathao and InDrive, which are like Ubers in Nepal. You can check the price in the app and use it as a reference for bargaining. Sometimes it’s better to avoid ordering through the app to prevent confrontation with taxi drivers, but it’s useful as a bargaining chip.

While seated in the back of my first taxi ride in Nepal, I felt as if I had been transported to another planet. The car was tiny, yet we managed to fit two large suitcases, two backpacks, and three people. With the windows rolled down, we let the air flow in and started taking in the scenery around us. Hundreds of motorbikes with two, three, or even four people on them zipped by, just inches away, but never touching the car.


Kathmandu City, Nepal


We arrived in Thamel, the bustling hub where most tourists stay. The streets are narrow, making it seem impossible for a car to fit, yet the driver always managed. Goats, chickens, and monkeys roamed the streets, alongside Hindu and Buddhist temples, small cafes, and beautiful architecture. The remnants of buildings damaged by the 2015 earthquake stood beside vibrant structures, showcasing a stark contrast. This city, where poverty and joy coexist, displayed a grey-toned vibrancy before us.

We exchanged some money and bought a SIM card in a shop in Thamel, but the same prices (or even cheaper) were available inside the airport. It cost me NPR 800 for 20 GB, valid for 28 days. After checking into the hotel, getting some local currency, and buying a SIM card, we were ready for the adventure to start.

 

Traffic in Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal

I spent 14 days immerse in the vibrant culture of Kathmandu for a wedding, followed by 8 days exploring the wildlife in Chitwan and the serene beauty of Pokhara. The final 10 days of my journey were spent in a tranquil monastery near Kathmandu, offering a peaceful retreat.

If I could plan it again, I would spend less time in Kathmandu and more time hiking through the Annapurna range near Pokhara or doing a voluntary experience on a farm with a local family. Unfortunately, after April, the burning season starts, making it hard to see any mountains below 3.000 meters because of the smoke and pollution. We learned that the best time to see the mountains below that altitude is between October and March.


Chitwan, Nepal


I kept hearing that Nepal is a much relaxed version of India. All I can say is that I can’t compare Nepal to any country I've visited before. I must confess, I didn't have the best start, and some experiences were not as pleasant. However, looking back, I can see the appeal of visiting a country where all religions, cultures, and races coexist in a chaotic yet harmonious way.

I ended up liking Thamel and its cafes, the culture, the attentiveness of the people, and the simplicity. I loved the whole experience in Chitwan because of my love for nature, especially seeing rhinos for the first time in my life. Pokhara was enjoyable too, offering a similar vibe to Kathmandu but with a more laid-back atmosphere.


Pokhara Lake, Nepal


I didn't want to make this article too long, so I decided to split up my experiences in Nepal into separate pieces. I'll be writing different articles for Kathmandu, Chitwan-Pokhara and Kopan Monastery. Each one will dive deeper into my adventures in those places. I hope it gives you a better feel for what each destination is like and maybe even inspires you to plan your own trip!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Buy a Motorbike in Koh Phangan on a Tourist Visa

Koh Phangan Best Beaches Guide 2024

Nice to Know Facts Before Arriving to Thailand